Sunday, April 15, 2007

Required Blog List Post 3

After reading through some of the blog posts on the required blog list, I came across the article, "Should Schools Block Sites Like Wikipedia?" on Slashdot. The post states that a school board blocked Wikipedia from the entire school, including teachers and faculty because the information on the site is created and edited by users; therefore, it is not a reliable or credible source. I thought this was particularly interesting because we are editing wikipedia articles in this course. I have used wikipedia as a research tool for initial research, but have not relied completely on the information provided on the site itself. I think that wikipedia is a good source to use as a starting point when researching and I do not think that the school system, or any school system, should block the site from its students.

No comments: